Wednesday 2 October 2013

Brains Fairies - Sculpture


What inspires you in your art? 
Originally I was inspired by Victorian Gadgetry and Invention and the humour it provides when looked at through modern eyes. More recently I find myself increasingly inspired by everyday life. The rain makes me think of fairy coping strategies and out pops an invention. A passing siren initiates a line of thinking around emergencies. My sculptures are often born out of my daydreams.
                                                 


What medium do you work in?
I work in mixed media, the combination of materials dictated by the idea. Leather, brass wire and sheet and paper clay are my staples. 

 What are you looking forward to at Make it Up North? 
 Betty’s is the honest response. I also love the idea of showing my work in such a lovely city. 
                                         



  What work are you showing at the event?
   I am showing a range of illustrative sculptures from ‘Launch Facilities’ to ‘Dust 
  Distributing Devices’ for fairies. I am particularly pleased with a series of wall pieces that 
   feature fairies in ‘fashion flight suits’ as opposed their usual ‘utility wear’. 

                                             

  Have you any exciting news to share?
  I was recently shortlisted for a ‘New Lights Art Prize’ which was fantastic. The exhibition 
  of shortlisted work runs at the Mercer Art Gallery, Harrogate until 17th November 2013.

  If you could sit in a room with any artist….who would it be and what would you ask    them? 
Oliver Jeffers, I love his books and he also has a nice beard. I’d ask him if he was available for dates.
                                                  

 Name your favourite quote/or philosophy to life? 
 I like to think that ‘Everything happens for a reason…I just don’t know what it is yet’

  If money was no object what piece of work would you create? 
  A very tall bicycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment