Tuesday 3 September 2013

Helaina Sharpley - Wirework Artist






Helaina Sharpley is an Edwardian lady trapped in the 21st century….  She wishes to be walking along the promenade, with parasol in hand, along Scarborough sea front, before perhaps going for a dip in the sea (with the assistance of a bathing machine for modesty, obviously.)  This would be followed by a quintessential afternoon tea, joined by her fellow elegant ladies, where they discuss pre-agreed conversations, regarding light matters and strictly no politics.  The china and linen would match the seasonal colours of the flower arrangements, and food would be delicate, yet adequate….


What inspires you in your art?
A love of tea drinking, led me onto looking at the elegance of Victorian and Edwardian eras.  So my inspiration comes from everything to do with this: the architecture (I love lampposts!) The china and cutlery, the ceremony of afternoon tea, the table linen, postcards, promenades, seaside piers, grandfather clocks…

What medium do you work in?
I am a wirework artist, creating pieces that cross the boundaries between drawing and sculpture.


What are you looking forward to at Make it Up North?
Going to York and being near Betty’s!... oh and the excitement/fear of the unknown – a new show is always a bit nerve wracking, but equally it’s a new adventure, in a beautiful building and with lots of amazing makers.

What work are you showing at the event?
Hopefully some York themed work, as there are so many elegant buildings to choose from.


Have you any exciting news to share?
Well, obviously Make It Up North is exciting.  I’ll then be showing at Made London for the second year (here’s a cringe worthy film about me from last year http://vimeo.com/50022156 )  And I have several other exhibitions before Christmas (see www.helainasharpley.co.uk for full details.)

If you could sit in a room with any artist….who would it be and what would you ask them?
I’d like to have a cuppa tea with Francis Frith, a photographer from the Victorian era (I have used many of his photographs as inspiration.)  I’d have asked if I could travel round the country with him, taking photos!  And make him take photos of places he didn’t (my home town of Mirfield for example!)

Name your favourite quote/or philosophy to life?
Say yes!

If money was no object what piece of work would you create? 
A really really big wire drawing of a city, that would be so detailed I’d be annoyed that I’d started it when I got half way through…. But would be pleased when it was finished! 









No comments:

Post a Comment