Thursday 3 October 2013

Interview with Cliff Wright - illustrated Harry Potter books and many more....



How did you get the Harry Potter job?
Around 1998, I got a call about a commission for some illustration work, regarding a seven book series. The first book in the Harry Potter series had already been published but by the time work on the second book had started, the publisher had decided they wanted a different style of illustration.

Although the books dealt with a fantasy wizarding world, they are also still set in the context of our world. For this reason, I think the publishers wanted the illustration to be less cartoon-like, and more realistic, albeit still imaginative.

That’s where I came in and I completed the illustrations for books two and three of the Harry Potter series. The brief was quite loose so I could let my imagination run wild and I particularly enjoyed working on book three, where the cover illustration shows Harry riding a Hippogriff (a magical creature that is half eagle, half horse).


Did the Harry Potter work lead to more diverse commissions?
I recently completed a very enjoyable commission from a US based client whose two children are big Harry Potter fans. She wanted a large scale piece that showed her children playing quidditch with Harry. I had been away from commissioned artwork and illustration for nearly three years at the time so it was quite hard to come back to it but also very exciting to revisit the theme and explore how I visualised it.

What about your other areas of work?
I enjoy all my disciplines. I’ll always be a secret sculptor – I never felt like illustration was ever enough for me on its own. In the last three years I’ve been exploring my sculpture more and working in 3D.

In fact my sculpture work will be part of a prestigious event at Hatfield House in North London next year, organised and curated by Andrew Sinclair. Twenty of the best sculptors in the UK have been invited to submit four pieces for the exhibition. I haven’t started mine yet – that will be this winter’s work.  So I was honoured to be chosen purely on the basis of the quality of my previous sculptures alone.

I’ve also been teaching a lot and I’ve really developed a passion for that. Some people say that you’re either an artist or a teacher but I completely disagree.

Teaching is very inspiring and it informs and improves your work as an artist in so many ways. You don’t just teach what you know; you also learn from others, try new things and find new solutions together. This encourages you to revisit your own work and see it in a new way. I’m certain my artwork has become stronger by teaching.


Tell us more about your workshops.
One of the things that I try to do through my workshops is to encourage people to believe that they can draw and that everyone has the ability. I think there’s a creative soul in all of us, you just need self-belief. There’s a magic in drawing that many people miss out on because they think of themselves as a ‘bad’ drawer. From an early age we start to think we can’t draw well and everything we draw is wrong. There is too much focus on the end result and not enough on the process. I try to get people beyond that idea of the basic drawing, where they are seeing the object without thinking about it. The results can be quite shocking and thrilling and surprising. People see things in a different way and they also see themselves anew so my workshops are as much about self-exploration as they are about drawing.

This is what I’ll be discussing, and hopefully demonstrating, during my workshop and talks at Make it up North. It’s important for people to just do it and experience it for themselves and then talk about it afterwards. I’m looking forward to this interaction, which an event like Make it up north is all about.

Make it Up North - York

Our newest event 'Make it Up North' will take place in the centre of York in the historic Guildhall near Betty's Tea Room off St. Helen's Square.
Friday 4th October 2013 - Cliff Wright Day - Harry Potter Illustrator leads workshops for adults and a children's school group. Click the link for more information and to book. Artist Talk - Cliff Wright talks about his life and work as an illustrator. 4pm - 5pm  Book here.
Main Show: The wonderful Guildhall packed with selected artists and designer-makers selling their own artworks direct to the public, curated exhibition space, installations, demonstrationsFilmore & Union cafe area, Blood & Chocolate photography exhibition and live music.
Saturday 5th October 2013 10am - 6pm
Main show - plus artist talks and life drawing workshop with the amazing Greg McGee.
Sunday 6th October 2013 10am - 4pm
Main show - plus artist talks, interactive areas and Brendan Hesmondhalgh one day 'Handbuilding with clay' workshop.
£4 entry on the door or book for an artist talk and get free entry with that ticket for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment