Friday 30 August 2013

Jo Lavelle - Jeweller




My work is made from silver using traditional jewellery making techniques and casting. More recently I have added semi precious beads in particular to one off pieces.

My jewellery style is to create pieces with volume and movement that is achieved by using repeated forms rather like natures way of layering leaves or petals. To create my style I have used tags or loopy tags that are bunched in a variety of ways to form a kinetic, voluminous and textured effect that is pleasurable to the wearer.

My long standing range of jewellery is called Pompom and has been in production since 2001! It has proved so popular it has become a trademark and I carry on producing it alongside other ranges and one off and exhibition pieces. My current work is characterised by the use of hand cut stones added to brooches and neckpieces sitting alongside other units from my Pompom or Loopy range.

My inspirations date back to watching my relatives wearing jewellery, in particular charm bracelets that move, makes noise, tinkles, and are eye catching. This jewellery was the individual’s personal statement and to me is just as important as clothing.

What inspires you in your art?
My inspirations date back to watching my relatives wearing jewellery, in particular charm bracelets that move, make noise, tinkles, and are eye catching. I am also fascinated by the construction of jewellery and this led to my jewellery style of layering multiple units together to create textural voluminous jewellery that moves, makes noise and hopefully is eyecatching!!

What medium do you work in?
Silver, gold and semi-precious stones.


What are you looking forward to at Make it Up North?
Being part of a brand new show hosted in a great city and also exhibiting alongside a great selection of makers all from Up North!

What work are you showing at the event?
I will be showing my usual range of work with some special one off pieces made especially for Make it Up North.


If you could sit in a room with any artist….who would it be and what would you ask them?
Lucienne Day and I would ask her what it was like to be part of a new and exciting design movement in 50’s and 60’s Britain. She believed that good design should be affordable, and in 2003 told the Scotsman newspaper that she had been "very interested in modern painting although I didn’t want to be a painter. I put my inspiration from painting into my textiles, partly, because I suppose I was very practical. I still am. I wanted the work I was doing to be seen by people and be used by people. They had been starved of interesting things for their homes in the war years, either textiles or furniture."

Name your favourite quote/or philosophy to life?
One of Robin Days quotes "You don't need new, you need good"


If money was no object what piece of work would you create? 
I would absolutely love to make some beautiful one off pieces in 18 carat gold for my collection.

Jo Lavelle will be showing her work at Make it Up North Event at The Guildhall in York on the 5th and 6th of October.  http://artmarkets.co.uk/artist/profile/86/jo-lavelle-jewellery

No comments:

Post a Comment