Thursday 29 August 2013

Sue Turton - Mixed Media




Artists Statement
I began my career in the early 1980’s designing hand knits, retailing to stores worldwide including Joyce in Hong Kong, Barneys in New York and Browns in London.
Recently I have combined hand knit and other traditional skills with laser technology to create a range of beautiful things.  From furniture to handmade cards each piece celebrates timeless elegance using reclaimed, vintage, and hand dyed and embroidered leather and silk.  I retail and exhibit to stores and galleries across the UK and also design laser cut swatches for international fashion companies such as Donna Karan, Anna Sui and Anthroplogie.

What inspires your art?
Anything and everything….. perhaps mainly travel and exhibitions.  I recently visited the Eduardo Paolozzi retrospective at Pallant House Gallery in Chichester.  His work is inspirational and he adapted his creativity to such a broad variety of disciplines including sculpture, prints, textiles, furniture, ceramics and even film.  I also was lucky to see a masterpiece by El Anatsui hanging outside the Royal Academy earlier this summer.


What medium do you work in?
Mixed media.  Anything from reclaimed wood and slate to leather and fine hand dyed silk.

What are you look forward to at Make it Up North?
York is an amazing city and the Guildhall will be the perfect environment to show my work.  I am also looking forward to meeting other artists and the public.


What work are you showing at this event?
My work will include furniture, leather and hand dyed silk throws, handmade cards, reclaimed slate  engraved with 23.5 carat gold leaf, leather bound sketchbooks and framed delicate hand knit samplers embellished with gold leather.

If you could sit in a room with any artist …. who would it be and what would you ask them?
I could not choose one artist.  My dream would be to fill a room with artists from various disciplines including fashion, film, textiles, photography, fine art, graphics and listen to them discussing what inspires them.


Name your favourite quote/philosophy to life.
There is beauty in imperfection.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment