Saturday 14 September 2013

Dionne Swift - Textile Artists




Dionne Swift uses the scale, emotion and energy of Landscapes to inspire energetic drawings and textiles;  Artwork is developed for exhibition and to commission to create unique interior pieces for domestic and commercial environments. 

The power of the elements: wind, rain, sea are translated into layers of intuitive marks: on paper and on cloth.  Thread colours and textures entwine to produce a vibrant and dynamic surface with tones visually mixing and revealing themselves hence captivating and entrancing the viewer. Dionne sews as she draws, draws as she sews - using her sewing machine as a mark making tool.  Embroidery need not be a slow, static meditation but a lively, vibrant and effervescent. Gold winner of Craft & Design Magazine's SELECTED awards [2011] Textile Artist: Dionne Swift is a graduate of Goldsmith’s College, she has a Masters in Textiles from UCE, Birmingham and has over 20 years of creative practice experience.  Now based in Holmfirth, Yorkshire, she exhibits and tutors internationally.


‘Dionne Swift’s engaging and innovative work commands huge respect from her peers as well as from other professionals and the public.


Her great skill and extensive knowledge of her materials, techniques and processes are leading to exciting synergies.  She not only breaks boundaries but admits to ignoring them, the results showing an uncompromising integrity.’  [Melissa Warren: Textile Artist]

Dionne Swift Interview. 



What inspires you in your art?
I’m inspired by my immediate environment and the marvelous landscape around me: it’s fresh, vibrant and ever changing – you could never be bored of it!
I also respond to textiles and the processes I work with – they offer life to my work.

What medium do you work in?
I work with Textiles – at the moment I’m drawing and painting then translating these into thread: I’m drawing with stitch!


What are you looking forward to at Make it Up North?
I thrilled that there is a high quality Art sales event in the north – so often the creative world is dragged to London…but so much of the work is made at a greater latitude!


What work are you showing at the event?
I’ve been working on some stitched compositions based on Yorkshire landscapes – I put my abstract slant on them though!  There are also more conventional drawings and paintings plus some smaller stitched pieces – something for every pocket!!



Have you any exciting news to share?
Exciting news? We have a new dog! ‘Digger’  he’s making sure I get my walking boots on and he’s helping me search out new spaces and places to draw!!

Name your favourite quote/or philosophy to life?
Aim for the stars…

Dionne is doing an artist talk on Sunday 6th of October. 'My Tactile Life' 

11:00 to 12:00pm  


No comments:

Post a Comment