Wednesday 18 September 2013

James Oughtibridge - Ceramic Artist



Personal Statement

I was first drawn to clay back in 1995 on an Art Foundation course under the guidence of Raku Potter David Roberts. I was immediatley struck by the way it could be turned into almost anything.  After this exciting introduction to the material I gained a place at Loughborough University and began developing a range of making processes.  The physicality of the making and the challenge to work on such a large scale has always been at the forefront of my work.

After graduating with a  first I then went on to study an MA  at the Royal College of Art, where, from the offset, I was challenged and pushed to move away from the refined, monumental sculptural forms I had made on my degree.  It was time to push and try new things and after over a year of playing with the material, generating quick ideas on the wheel, I developed a range of large scale sculptural seating aimed at the growing garden/design market.  Although this body of work proved very popular with numerous sales, commissions and television work I felt it was time to start exploring the vessel again and return to slab building which had always been a passion.

My work is constructed with numerous planes and perspectives, allowing the onlooker to look inside to a world of contorted shadows.  Sculptures often appear to float, with no visible flat base creating a tension with their surroundings.  The structures, initially overpowering, hold delicate and enticing surfaces. The many hours I spend refining, scraping and sanding the clay creates gentle flowing curves. 
Layers of underglaze and stains  are applied and are fired to 1240 degrees. The dark and light granulated surface and imposing colour creates shadows and areas that invite a closer inspection.  


What inspires you in your art? 
My work is loosley based on the human form

What medium do you work in?
Clay

What are you looking forward to at Make it Up North? 
The fantastic setting and the central location oh and selling my work.


What work are you showing at the event? 
Some large scale vessels created in the summer and some new vessels made in a special black clay body

Have you any exciting news to share? 
Valentines clay manufacturer have commissioned me to try out their black clay which they will use to market their products

If you could sit in a room with any artist….who would it be and what would you ask them?
It would be Anish Kapoor and I would ask him why he made that monstrous piece at the Olympics.

If money was no object what piece of work would you create? 
I would make a 10ft high pair of sculptural forms in bronze

James Oughtibridge will be showing his work at Make it Up North Event at The Guildhall in York on the 5th and 6th of October. 
http://www.artmarkets.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment