Friday 27 September 2013

Nicola Rawlings - Jeweller




Nicola Rawlings gained a BA with Honours in 1999 and a PGCE the following year and has enjoyed a career in education teaching many aspects of Art and Design to both post 16 and adult learners.
Deciding to go part time in 2011 brought about many changes as the focus of her own work changed from a dream to reality and Seed became the beginning of a new chapter. Working from her home studio in West Yorkshire she currently combines both teaching and selling as a contemporary multi-disciplinary designer maker. 
Seed is in essence a creative dream to make. I am passionate about expanding my knowledge and exploring contrasting materials and techniques. The importance of sketching and having an exploratory approach is essential in the development of my work. 



Seed Jewellery is made exclusively by hand offering unique and contemporary statement pieces designed for the everyday as well as the extraordinary. The aim of my current collection ‘Pebble’ was to create a timeless balance of tactile elements focusing on elongated lines and natural tones. This collection unites a combination of media such as silver and stoneware forms using elements of leather, rubber and oxidised silver chain to accentuate the line.

 What inspires you in your art?

As with many artist/designers I am constantly inspired by my surroundings. It could be the surface of an object or simply the line created by a reflection. I also believe that inspiration comes from a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.


What medium do you work in?
I like to explore media and techniques combining materials in order to create interesting elements often with contrasting surfaces. Currently I am working with silver, clay, leather and rubber.

What are you looking forward to at Make it Up North?
I always enjoy the exciting and inspiring atmosphere generated at these events as it provides you with the opportunity to not only meet prospective customers and amazing designers but gain valuable feedback about what you create and how its interpreted.

What work are you showing at the event?


My current collection is called ‘Pebble’ and unites a combination of media in order to explore both surface and line. I wanted to create a range that was interesting to wear yet uncomplicated and provided the individual with something that could be worn either in the day or evening.

Have you any exciting news to share?
Yes I have recently been selected to stand at the Craft 2014 event in London and again at BCTF in Harrogate. I had so much fun meeting other makers and buyers at the trade fair last year and was greeted with such warmth and encouragement that I signed up to be part of it again this  coming April. 

If you could sit in a room with any artist….who would it be and what would you ask them?
Miro……What do you see before you?
He had such a unique interpretation of art and his surroundings.


Name your favourite quote/or philosophy to life?
Anyone can give up, it’s the easiest thing to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.
(I read this in one of my student’s sketchbooks and saved it as my screen saver on my phone.)

If money was no object what piece of work would you create? 
Something that would inspire others and also be remembered. Money isn’t everything!





No comments:

Post a Comment