Thursday 5 September 2013

Hayley Murphy - Textiles



Please can you provide a personal statement of your work? 
“My work is influenced by fairy tales, escapism and memory. Using textiles and sewing as the base I create intricate and beguiling art works using dissolvable fabric, paper & thread that tell visual stories. I make most of my work using a sewing machine and use the machine to draw with stitch. Currently my work is patiently created using layers upon layers of stitch which as the dissolvable fabric is placed in water revealing the stitch as the outline which supports itself and leaves only the memory of the process.  I am currently studying Visual Arts at Salford University. My work is for sale and I am also available for commissions.

What inspires you in your art?
The significance of stories, fairytales, childhood memories and preserving old and new memories.


What medium do you work in?
Textiles

What are you looking forward to at Make it Up North?
I'm looking forward to exhibiting my installation at the Guildhall, its looks like a beautiful building and will really help bring my installation to life!


What work are you showing at the event?
I am showing a textiles installation - Alice's adventures in wonderland. This installation consists of a scene of thread characters escaping from an open book of Alices adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. This installation represents how important visuals are in order to communicate a story.


If you could sit in a room with any artist….who would it be and what would you ask them?
I'm interested in installation art currently and am particually fond of Japanese artist Chiharu Shiota - who installs spaces with thread and is influenced by remembrence and oblivion. I am fascinated by her work and would love too know how long it takes her to install a space with thread.


Name your favourite quote/or philosophy to life?
Hardship often prepares an ordinary person for an extraordinary destiny. C.S.Lewis

See more of Hayley Murphy on our Artists Directory here http://artmarkets.co.uk/artist

Hayley will be showing her work at Make it Up North Event at The Guildhall in York on the 5th and 6th of October. 

No comments:

Post a Comment