Monday 23 September 2013

Heather Shaw – Mixed Media Artist



What inspires you in your art?
I find inspiration from lots of different places, patterns and colours within nature, collecting interesting objects, reading books and magazines but also from being out and about, walking, going to antique centre’s and vintage fairs.


What medium do you work in?
I am a jeweler by trade but over the last couple of years I have been working on mixed media pieces of work which combine textiles, drawing and text through layers.
Creating assemblages from collecting vintage items, old toys, fabrics etc which I bring together to produce unique collages, its great fun.

What are you looking forward to at Make it Up North?
For me it has been a great excuse to work on a new body of work, exploring new techniques and ideas, bringing them together to produce exciting, new results.


What work are you showing at the event?
I have produced a collection of box frames which has been inspired by the notion of ‘collecting’ and focuses on things people choose to collect for example postcards, stamps, butterflies, letters etc. These are assembled together revealing image and text within different layers.

Have you any exciting news to share?
I’m working on lots of new ideas and feel my work is really changing and heading in a new direction so watch this space!


If you could sit in a room with any artist….who would it be and what would you ask them?
Rather than sit in a room with someone I would love to go out and work with Andy Goldsworthy for a day, I love the concept of creating art from natural materials and allowing nature to change, wash away and wear down the art so it is constantly changing and evolving, getting the opportunity to photograph it at various stages.



Name your favourite quote/or philosophy to life?
‘Nothing is out of reach, if you believe in your goals you can reach them, aim high.’

‘Life isn’t a dress rehearsal.’

If money was no object what piece of work would you create? 
I would probably work on a larger scale as I tend to stick to my comfort zone and it would allow me to buy more unusual and expensive items to incorporate into my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment